The Guitar New Mexico Youth Ensemble is a classical guitar ensemble comprised of high school guitar players grades 9-12. The Youth Guitar Ensemble is an audition-based group, with auditions for new members taking place prior to the start of each session. The ensemble is active during two ten-week sessions each year – one in the fall and one in the spring. The ensemble learns and rehearses a group of new pieces during each session, concluding with a concert performance by the group. Other performances may be scheduled during the session as well.
The GNM Youth Ensemble was created in 2016 and is affiliated with Guitar New Mexico. Jeremy Mayne, Guitar New Mexico’s Vice President and Artistic Director, is the conductor of the GNM Youth Ensemble.
If you are new to the Guitar New Mexico Youth Ensemble please contact Jeremy Mayne to arrange an audition, email@example.com. If you played in the Youth Ensemble last fall or last year, you do not need to re-audition.
Auditions Contact Jeremy Mayne
- Students auditioning should prepare short piece; classical repertoire(1-3 minutes in length)
- Students will be asked to sight read a short selection
Absences from regular rehearsals are limited to a specific number per session.
Guitar Youth Ensemble = 2 absences maximum
- There are no excused or unexcused absences. Any time you are not present a rehearsal for any reason – illness, soccer game, vacation, etc. – you will be considered absent
- Absence limits do not apply to concerts or dress rehearsals as these events are mandatory.
- Absence from ½ of a rehearsal may be considered ½ absence toward your total. For example, if you need to be absent to attend a soccer game or award ceremony, you may arrange with your conductor to be absent for first or second half of rehearsal. Student should only arrive or leave during break.
- Absences due to required school music performances or rehearsals must be pre-arranged with your conductor as soon as you are aware of the conflict. Mr. Mayne will contact your school conductor once made aware of the conflict. Required school music performances will not count against the absence limits if, and only if, they are addressed in a timely manner.
WHAT IF I HAVE TO MISS A REHEARSAL?
- Tell Mr. Mayne ASAP, Email firstname.lastname@example.org. Please let him know that you will be absent as far in advance as possible. This is an opportunity to discuss what you may need to do to catch up or alternative options. DON’T STOP HERE THOUGH – YOU MUST COMPLETE STEP 2.
- Report the absence online: You must report the absence as soon as you are aware of it. Submit this form: Report an absence
WHAT HAPPENS IF I GO OVER THE ALLOWED NUMBER OF ABSENCES?
- When you reach the maximum number of absences for the ensemble, you will receive a letter from your conductor and be put on probation. If you miss another rehearsal, you may be dismissed from the program at the discretion of your conductor and the Music Programs Director.
- When we are forced to consider dismissal from the program, your communication with Mr. Mayne and timely reporting of absences will be taken into consideration. We may request verification of the reason for absences over the maximum allowed (i.e. note from school conductor or doctor).
The Guitar New Mexico Youth Ensemble is supported in part by a generous grant from the City of Albuquerque’s Urban Enhancement Trust Fund.