The Guitar New Mexico Youth Orchestra is a classical guitar ensemble comprised of high school guitar players grades 9-12. The Youth Guitar Orchestra is an audition-based group, with auditions for new members taking place prior to the start of each session. The ensemble is active during two ten-week sessions each year – one in the fall and one in the spring. The ensemble learns and rehearses a group of new pieces during each session, concluding with a concert performance by the group. Other performances may be scheduled during the session as well.
The GNM Youth Orchestra was created in 2016 and is affiliated with Guitar New Mexico. Jeremy Mayne, Guitar New Mexico’s Vice President and Artistic Director, is the conductor of the GNM Youth Orchestra.
If you are new to the Guitar New Mexico Youth Orchestra please contact Jeremy Mayne to arrange an audition, firstname.lastname@example.org. If you played in the Youth Orchestra last fall or last year, you do not need to re-audition.
Auditions January 24 6:30-8:30pm
- Students auditioning should prepare short piece; classical repertoire(1-3 minutes in length)
- Students will be asked to sight read a short selection
Tuition is $100 for each of the ten week sessions.
Tuition payment due January 31
For students in need, limited financial assistance is available.
Scholarship applications due January 24.
- Full scholarships may only be awarded to those students who meet the Jan. 24 deadline
- Only partial scholarships awarded for applications received after Jan 24 deadline. Amounts tbd by Guitar New Mexico Board
As a performance based ensemble, attendance at all rehearsals is expected. Excusing an absence is at the discretion of the conductor. Excess absence from rehearsals may result in the student being put on probation. If the issue persists, expulsion from the ensemble could occur.
Rehearsals: Wednesday evenings from 6:30-8:30pm.
- January 31
- February 7, 14, 21(sectionals), 28
- March 7, 14(sectionals), 21
- April 4, 11
AYSO Music Facility, 4407 Menaul NE, ABQ. NM 87110
Concert dates and locations:
- Lomas Tramway Branch Library March 20 6:30pm
- UNM’s Keller Hall April 15 3pm
The Guitar New Mexico Youth Orchestra is supported in part by a generous grant from the City of Albuquerque’s Urban Enhancement Trust Fund.